In the southern part of Ecuador we find several small, seldom used secondary roads that connect isolated villages and farming areas, which offer no interest for regular or heavy traffic. The 100Km road that drops 2000m, from Saraguro down to the Jubones desert is a perfect example. The trip starts at high moorland ground and descends to a very fertile agricultural area inhabited by the Saraguro Indians. Then the second day we descend gradually to a dry forest, full of interesting plant and bird life and finally we cross the Jubones inter-andean desert that drops down close to the lowlands level. The trip is full of excitement and adrenaline along the zigzagging dirt road.
Private, Any Day, 2 Days / 1 Night
DAY 1: CUENCA – NABON TRAILS – SARAGURO
Day 2: SARAGURO- MANU- SUMAYPATA- JUBONES RIVER- CUENCA
- 1 night at local hostel
- Moderate activities of 4 – 6 hours a day
- Intermediate biking skills required
- Highland and subtropical terrain elevations ranges from 3000 m to 1000 m
- Road conditions depending on the season could vary drastically. Some drives are along very steep cliffs.
- This trip is just an example of 1 specific route. Other routes from the highlands to the coast or jungle are also possible and wil be programmed under request. Book now